The Cuckoo is no longer publishing but you can continue to enjoy our old articles.

Man Burned After Discarding Aerosol on Bonfire

Fire Scotland have issued a warning after a man in Penicuik was burned after throwing an aerosol onto a bonfire.

Penicuik’s resident firefighters were called to an address in Pomathorn Bank at 13:10 on Saturday 19 April to extinguish a bonfire.

Upon arriving, crews administered first aid to a male (45) who had been burned after he discarded an aerosol can on the bonfire. He was then taken to hospital for further treatment.

Group Manager Martyn Brandrick said:

When having a bonfire it is important to remember never burn dangerous rubbish such as aerosols even when they are empty, because they will explode and may cause injury.

There are always risks so if you need to dispose of rubbish or garden waste you should use the correct recycling bins or take it to the tip.

If you decide to embark on controlled burning there are a number of steps you must follow to stay safe, minimise risk and disruption to neighbours and nearby property. Never leave a fire unattended, or burn close to buildings, be aware of wind direction and prevailing conditions (both very dry weather and very windy weather can bring additional risks).

If a fire gets out of control contact the fire and rescue service immediately using 999 giving details of location and access to the site.  Stay well back and await the arrival of firefighters, never try to tackle the blaze yourself. Always ensure the fire is completely out before you leave it and check again the next day to ensure it has not reignited.

[Image © Google and Fire Scotland]